Monday, March 10, 2008

Para Espanol, oprima dos

This is a public service announcement from me to you, dear reader.

Yesterday the cable went out, and Jon tried to call Comcast to report it three times. Jon got disconnected three times. The fourth try, I said, "Press the button for Spanish." He pressed the button for Spanish, and it told us to hold for an operadora (that's operator). In less than a minuto, we were connected with a Spanish-speaking operator, who also spoke English. Aparently, my guera (blonde) accent gave me away, because although I was speaking Spanish, she spoke English back to me.

Just in case you'd like to try this in the future, and are apprehensive about reporting your cable outage in English to a Spanish-speaking operator, here are some phrases to remember:

El televisor no funciona ... The televison set isn't working
Ni la computadora ... the computer isn't either
Mi direccion es ... My address is
Mi numero de telefono es ... My phone number is
Quiero comunicarme con tu jefe ... I'd like to speak with your supervisor

No comments: