Thursday, April 3, 2008

Exercising during pregnancy


Exercise during pregnancy has been quite a challenge. First, I was too tired. Then I was on doctor's orders to take it easy while the baby calmed itself down. Then, once I was cleared to exercise, I had already lost significant tone and endurance. I turned to the series by personal trainer Sue Flemming whose workouts I used before. Her book for pregnancy titled Buff Moms to Be. I also liked carrying it around the gym during the in-between stage, wh
en strangers couldn't tell if I was pregnant or just chubby. That's one of the benefits of working out during pregnancy that they don't tell you in the pregnancy books -- dragging yourself to the gym will not only make you feel good about yourself, it will also make you feel better than everyone else there. Hey, I'm only lifting a 5lb dumbell, but I'm carrying a baby, too! As I've progressed, I am using less weight, because it truly feels like I am carrying a solid weight on my belly. Pregnancy workout wardrobe is something that doesn't get talked about in the pregnancy books either. So far, I've been just wearing my biggest pants and pulling them down a little lower than usual and topping them off with one of the grande-size t-shirts that I just had to have a million of during college. Seriously, why are all my college tees size Large? What was I thinking? Why didn't anybody make me order a more fitted size? Another wardrobing issue that needed to be addressed was the sports bra. Even though I'm not near my pre-pregnancy exertion levels, my pre-pregnancy sports bras are now more useful as headbands than bras. So, I picked up a couple in the largest size that the sporting goods store carried and they fit great!

No comments: