Wednesday, January 16, 2008

19 weeks

Here I am at 19 weeks, 2 days.

The baby is the size of a mango. Vernix caseosa, a greasy white substance made of lanugo, oil and dead skin cells (yum) now coats baby's skin, shielding it from the amniotic fluid. (Picture yourself after a nine-month bath, and the need for protection makes sense.) You might actually get to see the vernix at birth, especially if baby is premature.

The jeans I'm wearing in this picture are not maternity jeans. They are the super-low-rise variety that was popular about 5 years ago. The "waist" was always a little loose ... so there's plenty of room for growth! Wearing these jeans before pregnancy, I always felt:
1) A little trampy, and
2) That my pants were going to fall down at any minute.
Who knew that all I needed to do was add a long maternity top (and a pregnant bod) and it would fix everything?

No comments: